Website Horticulturist (Seasonal), Community Services Department
The Department of Community Services, Facility, Operations & Environment Division is accepting applications for four (4) Seasonal Maintenance Operator’s (Horticulture). Reporting directly to the Supervisor, Operations – Forestry, this position is responsible for maintaining the horticulture beds on Town property. The successful candidate will perform all aspects of horticulture work while ensuring that proper safety procedures are followed at all times.
Major Job Responsibilities
• Complete assigned horticultural work, including pruning perennials and shrubs in horticulture beds, planting annuals, perennials and shrubs, weeding, edging, mulching and watering various horticulture beds, and engaging in various horticultural work practices as required
• Operate specialized horticultural equipment in a safe and efficient manner
• Maintain written records as required, park bed maintenance work records, activity cards, traffic safety plans when required (for roadside hort. beds), site hazard assessments when required, etc.
• Duties include and are not limited to pruning projects, horticulture bed maintenance, contractor works and/or warranty reviews, address various miscellaneous service requests, bed watering, weeding, mulching, horticulture bed designs from time-to-time, etc.
• Assists other business units such as the Town Arborists when needed, for special arboricultural projects as directed (street tree elevation pruning, tree mulching, tree watering, tree stake removals, etc.).
• Provides Lead Hand duties and supervises a small crew of students
• Complies with all health and safety practices as it relates to the work, standard operating guidelines and the Occupational Health & Safety Act
• Perform all other duties as assigned in accordance with Department objectives
Education and Experience
• A diploma or degree in Horticulture, Horticulture Technician, Landscape Design and/or Parks and Environmental studies from a recognized institution is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
• Three (3) or more years of directly related horticulture experience
• Possession of a class “G” Ontario Driver’s license with a satisfactory driver’s abstract
• Qualified and trained in the operation of, but not limited to; tractors with attachments, pickup trucks, 1 ton dump trucks, roll off attachments, towing trailers, etc.
• Qualified and trained in the operation of various hand and power tools associated with horticultural bedding care
• Two (2) years of directly related experience including the operation, routine maintenance, and safe use of related equipment
• Candidates must be knowledgeable in currently accepted Horticulture industry practices
• Demonstrations of the foregoing qualifications may be required through written, oral and practical examinations
• Candidates must be physically fit and able to work in varying climatic conditions
• Excellent customer service and problem solving skills are required, as well as demonstrated good judgment
• Possessing a valid Ontario Land Exterminators Pesticide License would be considered an asset
• Possessing a valid Certified Landscape Technician (CLT Softscape Installation) / Certified Landscape Horticulturist Technician (CLHT Softscape Installation) would be considered an asset
• Other Landscape Ontario certifications would also be considered an asset
• Possession of a class “D” or “DZ” Ontario Driver’s license with a satisfactory driver’s abstract would be considered an asset
• Valid Standard First Aid Certificate / CPR and WHMIS would be considered an asset
• Book 7 training and understanding
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Proven teamwork ability
Hourly Rate: $27.83