City of Bellville
Closing Date: February 3rd, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Department: Transportation & Operations (Parks Section)
File Number: SV23-12
Hours: 40 hours per week; Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
Work Location: On-site
Salary: $28.76 per hour
The City of Belleville, known as the ‘Friendly City’, is located at the mouth of the Moira River where it meets the picturesque Bay of Quinte. Experience world-class fishing, boating, cycling and walking along approximately 14 kilometers of waterfront trails. Situated between Toronto and Montreal, and less than one hour from the U.S. border, the City truly is at the center of it all. Approximately 56,000 people make Belleville their home and over 220,000 live within 30 minutes of the City.
We are in close proximity to Prince Edward County where you can discover award winning wineries and numerous beaches including Sandbanks Provincial Park. We are home to Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology as well as Albert College, Canada’s oldest co-ed boarding independent private school.
The historic downtown core provides numerous restaurants, shopping and live music and theater venues for an amazing cultural experience. Our inviting blend of small town warmth and big city amenities, quality of life and affordable housing make Belleville the perfect place to live, work and play. More information is available at www.belleville.ca.
Currently, the City of Belleville has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, creative, and dynamic individual to join the Parks Division as a Gardener.
PURPOSE & SCOPE:
The Gardener is responsible for the production, installation and maintenance of annual and herbaceous flowers and woody perennials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Complete tasks such as: Production, Installation and maintenance of floral displays (ie. planting, transplanting, propagation fertilizing, pruning, deadheading of annuals, woody and herbaceous perennials and roses, mulching, watering , weeding, etc, garden renovation, greenhouse plant production, IPM – monitoring and treatment of plant health problems.
- Complete floral bed assessments and provide recommendations to management.
- Recommends floral display form and content
- Responds to inquiries from the general public
- Interacts in a courteous manner promoting a high standard of customer service.
- Takes ownership of problems, follows through until resolved by trouble shooting, and finding solutions, coordinates with management to address maintenance/condition concerns.
- Crew leader of assigned staff
- erates many types of equipment used in gardening and grounds maintenance, listed below but not limited to: tractors and implements, trucks and trailers, loaders, hand held motorized equipment, rototillers, blowers, pruning equipment, shears, forks, shovels, cultivators, hoes and rakes etc.
- Operates City vehicles and other municipal equipment according to applicable legislation, policies and procedures and in safe and conscientious manner, including performing all required pre-use inspections (circle checks).
- Completes all required reports, daily records and documentation such as injury reports, accident and incident reports, in a detailed fashion as necessary. Records, documents and reports any issues to Supervisor.
- Completes winter control activities, operating trucks and plows, tractors, plow and blowers, shovels,
- Assists with the installation and take down of Civic Christmas displays and special event and
- Daily building and washroom maintenance as required.
- Other duties as assigned
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
Essential (Minimum) Qualifications:
- A recognized college diploma/degree in horticulture or related fields. (Red seal certification is considered an asset)
- A Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) Land Exterminator’s License and Greenhouse Exterminator’s license, or the ability to obtain the license within 5 months of hire
- A class “D” driver’s license, in good standing (Class A & Z endorsements are considered an asset), or the ability to obtain the license within 5 months of hire
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA) and the pertinent regulations
- Knowledge and understanding of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Proficiency in computer use and operation (word processing, databases, spread sheets)
- Ability to work all shifts according to the CUPE Collective Agreement
- Three to five years’ of experience in plant care operations with a clear knowledge of the requirements as defined by the various trade associations (CNLA, OALA, LOHTA, or ISA)
- Municipal work experience would be considered and asset.
How to Apply:
Personal information and any supporting material will be administered in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). We thank all applicants who apply but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised that the City of Belleville uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job postings. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked frequently and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence regarding recruitments via email, it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the job posting.
The City of Belleville is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Division to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.
Applicants will be required to provide at their own expense a satisfactory criminal reference check dated within the past six (6) months, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, and if deemed a requirement of the position, a driver’s abstract to the Human Resources Department on or before the date of the interview but no later than the commencement of employment if selected.
To apply for this job please visit careers.belleville.ca.